NOTE: You can enroll in this course for free, but it is also included in the site-wide bundle which unlocks every course in the Academy.
What Will I Learn in This Course?
In this course you'll learn:
- why critical thinking skills are so valuable in personal life and in business, and yet are so rare.
- about the various skills and aptitudes that distinguish good critical thinkers - what I call the Five Pillars of Critical Thinking
- about cognitive biases, human (ir)rationality, and the psychology of belief and judgment, and why this is so important for critical thinking
- a new perspective on the nature of science and scientific reasoning
- a broader framework that will help you decide where to go with your critical thinking education and what to study next!
What Do I Get With This Course?
At the Critical Thinker Academy we believe in giving students a range of options for consuming content (audio, video and text).
When you enroll in this course you get
- 12 video lectures, totaling 2 hours and 41 minutes of viewing time
- Full transcripts for each of the lectures, embedded below the videos
- Discussion comments for each of the lectures, allowing you to ask and respond to questions and comments
- 3 pdf ebooks totaling 88 pages, suitable for printing or viewing online.
Thus, with this course a student has the option to
- watch the video version of each lecture
- listen to the audio from each lecture while reading the text transcript
- download a pdf ebook and read the content on their iPad or tablet device
- print out the pdf and create a hardcopy manual for personal use
StartAbout The Videos In This Section
StartWhat Are The Aims of Critical Thinking? (4:39)
PreviewImproving the Quality of Beliefs, Judgments and Decisions (6:38)
PreviewThink Fast! Why Critical Thinkers Need to Pay Attention to Dual-Process Theories of Rationality (3:48)
StartWhat is Critical Thinking For? How to Decide What Goes In Your Critical Thinking Toolbox (8:20)
StartPDF Ebook - The Five Pillars of Critical Thinking
Start1. The Five Pillars of Critical Thinking (10:10)
Start2. Logic for Critical Thinkers (15:16)
Start3. Argumentation versus Rhetoric (6:23)
Preview4. Critical Thinking's Dirty Secret: The Importance of Background Knowledge (6:10)
Start5. What Critical Thinkers Can Learn From Good Actors (8:36)